This is my road (so far) to WWDC13. This should serve as a reminder to my future self to avoid WWDC next year.
The effort that went into getting a ticket is far more than I’m willing to admit… it’s JUST a conference, after all! Here’s a recap:
- Start researching WWDC history to be well prepared (see last section). I felt this was critical to get a ticket.
- Rumors and trends converge towards a June 10-14 schedule, with an April 25th announcement
- Sign up to 2 different WWDC announcement notification services (for redundancy)
- Book round-trip flights and accommodations early to avoid much higher costs once they skyrocket after the announcement.
- 9:55, start repeatedly refreshing WWDC page
- 10:00:05, see purchase button, enter info
- 10:00:55, click “complete order”
- Get error, enter info again
- 10:01:55, click “complete order”
- Get redirected to WWDC where it says “sold out”
- Mope for a few minutes
- Acceptance: Oh well, it’s just a conference. I’ll take this as a week-long vacation in SF. Go on with the rest of my day.
- 16:30, receive a phone call from Apple rep saying “We see you encountered some errors while purchasing your WWDC tickets this morning. I’d like to let you know that we have a ticket reserved for you and we’ll be sending you an email with information on how to complete your purchase in the next twelve hours [sic].”
- Celebrate for a few minutes
- 14:27, receive email from Apple with instructions to complete the purchase
- 16:00, attempt to complete the purchase but run into another set of errors on:
- Google Chrome
- OS X Safari
- iOS Safari
- reset OS X Safari
- it works!
- Finally complete the order.
Note to self… avoid WWDC next year, people will be resort to writing bots to buy their tickets and the conference will sell out in 0.04s.
- 2003: June 23 to June 27
- 2004: June 28 to July 2
- 2005: June 6 to June 10
- 2006: August 7 to August 11
- 2007: June 11 to June 15
- 2008: June 9 to June 13
- 2009: June 8 to June 12
- 2010: June 7 to June 11
- 2011: June 6 to June 10
- 2012: June 11 to June 15
Announcement Dates, Times and Sell Out Durations
- 2010: April 28 (8 days)
- 2011: March 28 (12hrs: 16x faster than previous year)
- 2012: April 25 (1h43m: 7x faster than previous year)
- 2013: April 25, 10:00am (90s: 70x faster than previous year)